Skip to main navigation
Skip to main content
- 1888- The Georgia School of Technology opens for classes; night watchmen had patrolled the campus grounds since the school's inception
- mid-1940s - The Security Department is formalized with the hiring of a second officer
- 1953 - 8 officers; all officers are former employees of Atlanta Police Department
- 1963 - 19 officers; Oversight of the Security Department is transferred to the Controller’s Office; equipment and vehicle improvements have greatly increased officers’ capabilities
- 1972 - 28 officers; The Security Department is renamed the Georgia Tech Police Department under the Georgia Board of Regents
- 1974 - 32 officers; GTPD’s first female officer, Officer Mary Manning, hired; all GTPD officers are certified peace officers under the Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Council (POST)
- 1977 - GTPD is officially recognized by Georgia POST
- 1986 - End of watch for Sergeant Gary Beringause
- 1994 - 38 officers; bicycle unit is instituted; GTPD begins federally-mandated crime reporting
- 2003 - K-9 unit established. Officers and their canine companions patrol campus and answer calls.
- 2013 - GTPD CALEA Accreditation received as only the third university in the State of Georgia to achieve Law Enforcement Agency accreditation
- 2016 - Social Media Center program began, staffed with 1 student Social Media Reporter and 1 full-time officer
- 2016 - 84 officers; community relations and engagement is at an all-time high
- 2019 - GTPD relocates to a newly designed police building at 965 Hemphill Avenue NW, Atlanta; all divisions are located under a single roof.
- 2019 - Forensics Unit was opened with two certified forensic specialists on staff, providing select services to contribute to solving crimes in the University System of Georgia schools, among other agencies.
- 2020 - End of watch for Investigator James Cornacchia
- 2021 - Digital Intelligence Unit formed to support evidence-gathering of the Criminal Investigation Division, including camera footage and open source social media
- 2022 - GTPD Operations Center received CALEA Accreditation as the first Operations Center university communications center/dispatch to be nationally accredited in the State of Georgia.